Wednesday 16 November 2011

Assignment #3: Novel Journal Entry (ROOM)

"But you said a birthday cake, it's not a birthday cake if there's no five candles on fire." ( p.23)

          It's Jack's fifth birthday, and his mother made a cake for him, but placed five chocolates on the surface instead of candles, but Jack wanted candles instead to make it a "real" birthday. In this quote Jack is screaming and having a fit over this miniscule issue. When I was five I did the same thing. When I wanted something, I wanted it. Period. I was much like Jack, I was not aware of the difficulties my parents had to go through to fulfil my desires. I did not realize candy or toys were a privilege.

         When I was younger, all I wanted was a puppy for my birthday. I used to argue with my parents to convince them that I am responsible enough to raise a puppy. I even bribed my siblings to be on my side during the arguments, anything I needed to get a dog. My only focus was to get this pet, I didn't take anything else into consideration. Our back yard was not large enough for a dog to play and exercise in. Neither did I acknowledge that my parents raised a dog in India, where animals were banned from entering homes, and they wouldn't be able to adapt raising a dog inside the house. If I owned a dog I would provoke my parents to depart and go out of their comfort zone. I realize that now.

        Jack in this case, does not comprehend that his mother was kidnapped. In order for her to receive Sunday treat, she has to allow Old Nick rape her multiple times a week. Their living conditions are much more harsh than mine were when I was young, but a five year-old's mind set will always be the same.

1 comment:

  1. I thought that your connection was very thoughtful and that it precisely showed how you related to what jack was going through. You had one example and explained it in detail, which gave me a better understanding of how your two stories are similar. The only little thing i would have added was maybe more examples and explanation on how you were feeling during that time and how jack must have been feeling.

    ReplyDelete